Translate

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Episode 17--My beautifully-planned Winter Break and Travel Tips for International Students

There is only one month away from winter break, and I just couldn't help thinking about it. I have my trip planned out way back in September. (I was checking the GSE calendar when I was still in Shanghai, and I decided to take the advantage of every holiday available at Penn to pan out some of my travel plans.) So for the upcoming break, it' ll go to the United Kingdom and Spain. Thinking about the destinations just set my pulse racing. 

For international students, one of the perks for being on F-1 status is that it allows you to go to other countries a lot more easier. For example, you don't even have to apply for a visa to go to Mexico as long as you have your valid I-20 and passport. It is much convenient to go there from US than from China, considering the VISA process and flight miles. 

For countries like UK, it may be easier to apply for travel visa if you are an F-1 student. It only took me four days to have my visa approved after I submitted my application and other documents. I am not sure how long it takes to process UK visa if applying in China, but I assume that it would be a bit longer and more complicated. So if you haven't been to another part of the English-speaking country, this is a great chance for you to have an exploration. If you have friends over there, beg them to stay there so you don't have to pay hotel fees. ( I am going to do so because my boyfriend is studying there.) 

Likewise, if you are interested in Schengen countries, don't let your student status down in the drain. I have made the visa  appointment in December, and now I am preparing to get my documents ready for application. It is almost the same as I did with my UK visa, so it is pretty clear and easy. In China, many people would choose to go group travel to Europe probably because the visa is more likely to get approved if submitted by travel agency. However, while you're here, it allows you to explore Europe without heavy-loaded itinerary, constraints of time and going somewhere with an army of tourists. The visa is easy as long as you have everything ready. So do take advantage of your US status, and it might only be valid for two years (depends on your years of program.) 

Penn does have some relatively long break for students to travel. While I am still being tortured by all the papers, I'd get pretty excited when I think about what I will be doing one month later. That is the momentum that seems to keep me going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment