Translate

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Episode 14--Career fair and resources

Good evening! There was just this thought that came off the top of my head, and I really wanted to share with you guys.

One of the reasons I chose Penn was that as a university of stellar reputation, it has a wide networking connection, and it offers various kinds of career fairs so that students can take the advantage to talk with many potential employers. Career Services, which provides students with different career opportunities and events, is one of the most useful on-campus resources for both undergrad and graduate students. Having studied here for three months, I had already been to three grand career fairs where an array of companies set their tables, looking for qualified candidates for the positions they offered. Each time, the focus of those events was different. For example, the recently held one caters to students /researchers who want to spend a year/semester/summer abroad studying, doing internships/volunteering or conducting research. Attendees were able to gain more information from talking to one or two representatives about the programs, and receive further emails or updates if registered on the spot. But I remembered the first career fair that I attended at Penn was more formal and perhaps more oriented to senior students or second-year graduates who are about to seek for jobs. Most of the attendees were wearing suits, and that even did not occur to me until I entered the gate, seeing all people dressing up like professionals. I went there just because i wanted to get a feel for it. I was curious about what career fair was like at Penn. It was a fantastic event and I guaranteed that next year, i would be wearing formal attires, too.

I will be talking about Penn Career Services later, because it offers more than what I just mentioned, and I am pretty sure that writing them down takes several long paragraphs. If you are curious, you can go to its homepage and have a little taste of what it is like: http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/

Looking forward to the weekend already! ( But I am going to spend one of the days doing assignments.......sad....)

No comments:

Post a Comment