Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Episode 11--Salsa dance class at Med School

Hi all ! Just a quick heads-up: I will be updating my posts more often, probably on a two-day basis. 

I just had a fun Salsa class last Friday night. It was in a classroom at Medicine School.(which was kind of strange...anyway) The class turned out to be a little different than I thought. About 20 students participated in the class, with a diverse cultural background. For the beginner's level, learners first stood in four lines, with two being the leaders, and the other two being the followers. We were practicing some basic steps of Salsa. After we became familiar with the foot steps, we were then asked to form a big circle. What was amazing about the dance class was the we didn't have a fixed leader/partner to practice with. We were constantly switching to the next partner in that big circle, and every one got the chance to dance with others several time. This way of instructing Salsa definitely encouraged interaction among leaners and helped learners be more engaged in the environment without any pressure. Dancing is supposed to be fun, free and joyful. That's the reason I like dancing. 
In addition, the teacher was cool in a way that he used some Spanish to give instructions, which was another benefit to me because I barely knew Spanish (except for the sentence "Hola, Senor ! Como esta ? )  Come  and I did pick up some Spanish words after the class. The Salsa dance is a five-week course on every Friday night. It now becomes something that I am looking forward to each week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment