Translate

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Episode 41--Ed.D Weekend and Graduate assistantship

Yesterday was a big day for Penn GSE. Ed.D applicants were invited to Penn GSE and participated in various events that our admission planned for them. The events were the same as Ph.D weekend, which was two weeks ago. What I loved most was meeting those candidates and having delicious food! Spending a whole day to the Ed. D weekend was a sacrifice, but it paid off at the end especially when the candidates and all of our GAs were gathered in the Penn Museum having a nice cocktail happy hour and an amazing dinner. This is also the second that all of GAs were able to get together and participated in an event. ( Due to the time schedules of different programs, usually one or two GAs had to miss out on the events. ) Therefore, this time of event has become significant to all of us because everyone came out. We also took pictures of us celebrating the long-waiting reunion. : ) 

Some people have asked me about the graduate assistantship. I am not sure if it depends on the programs. In terms of my program (ICC), you don't have to apply for it. It comes directly along with your admission letter, and you can choose whether to take it or not. However, at that time, you don't know what type of work you are assigned to. ( I don't know if the policy changes, at least for me, it worked this way.) If I remembered correctly, I was not informed that I was going to work for GSE admission until one week or two weeks before arriving at Penn, so around mid August. For that, I didn't get to choose what type of work I wanted to do for my graduate assistantship. I knew some students in my cohort and in TESOL program works for one specific professor, which is also really cool. But I love working at the admission office. It was such a luck for me to get picked up for that (I still don't know the assigning process, though), and I really really enjoyed working with those lovely GAs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment