Translate

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Episode 34--Trip to United Kingdom

So after we explored Spain, we took the plane from Madrid to London. It was where we began our journey in United Kingdom. 
We were supposed to be staying at London for three days, and then went to Brighton, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge and went to back to Sheffield, where my boyfriend temporarily lives in. Unfortunately, the plan was cancelled due to an unexpected incident! My boyfriend got diarrhea after we had breakfast at Mc Donald's, and because of that, we had to stay at hotel, doing nothing but watch LIVE firework over London Bridge online to celebrate New Year. It was a bum out. What made the issue even worse was that every time he had diarrhea, he needed to take medicine right away. As luck would have it, he forgot to take them! Therefore, I cancelled all the hotel reservations for the next four destinations, and left for Sheffield the next day, which was two days earlier to leave London than we planned. So....bad beginning....
But things started turning around a bit after he got better one day later. He took me to York, Cambridge, Bath and finally sent me off at Manchester Airport. ( We got to Manchester one day before my departure to Philadelphia and did some shopping.) 
Overall, my trip to UK was not completely ruined. But it still bothered me, though, because the weather was not so cooperative, and I felt like there was so much more to see in London. Well, it's okay. I will go there again anyway. 

I did visited Buckingham Palace, and Big Ben. 

The national flag shows that the Queen currently was not there.....


This is Westminster. We didn't go in there for a visit, because the line was crazy long. 




Weather was not helpful. Might as well just take black and white photos......

One amazing thing that we did in London was that we went to Mason& Fortnum, a famous tea house for an authentic English Afternoon tea. It is a really popular spot because the reservation has been to February. ( My boyfriend made the reservation in November..so...) One step in there, you would realize that Englishman spent their afternoon in a really fancy way. The building has four floors. Except for the top floor which is used for afternoon tea, the rest of the storeys are for shopping, with various kinds of teas, teacups, tea-things, muffins, sandwiches and etc. Also, it was kind of expensive. Afternoon tea for two people is 90 pounds !!!!!! But we are just tourists; it's okay to waste money there once. 






So my favorite city, besides London, would be York. It is regarded as the most beautiful city in the northern part of England. It demonstrated a different style that could not be found in other cities. Also, the second largest church is at there, next to Westminster in London. 
York is famous for its tea house and York sausage. 







Bath is another touristy city. Some famous places of interests are The Royal Crescent, The Circus, Roman Bath, and Bath Abbey. We stayed there for one night. One lesson I bear in mind after this trip is that as long as the weather is good, the city will present its best scene. If it rains, no matter how beautiful a city is, it is still not that stunning as it would be. Bath is a good example. 

In the rain, it looks like this: 

The next day when the sky lit up, it looks like this: 



See the differences !!!!!

And it bothers me because when I went to Cambridge, it rained most of the time. Even if it did stop for a while, the sky was grey, just like my mood.....
When we got there, the weather was good, and I thought it would last for the whole day......

Then it started raining hard. If you think that Cambridge looks good in the rain, then take my theory, it would be much more beautiful when the rain let up. 




That is the end of my trip to UK. For me, it is still an unforgettable experience even though the weather was not on my side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment